gathering hope house
OUR MISSION: Gathering Hope House encourages mental health consumers to join together as members, inspiring and supporting one another’s personal growth and recovery. Together, members will also challenge the community in which they live to develop compassion and acceptance of all.
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES: We support our members as they achieve their goals by adhering to our guiding principles of integrity, personal growth, belonging, competence, helpfulness, fairness and teamwork.
*This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
HISTORY OF GATHERING HOPE HOUSE:
Gathering Hope House was founded in part by members of Clifton Lodge, which was a gathering place for adults with mental illness and addictions in Lorain, Ohio who were seeking a place of acceptance and belonging where they could use their experiences to help one another and contribute to an organization alongside with others interested in mental health.
Members of the Lorain County Board of Mental Health (now known as Mental Health Addiction Recovery Services Board of Lorain County), community stakeholders and advocates held a series of discussions and planning meetings to design the concept of a multi-service mental health organization that specialized in peer education, support and opportunities with the goal of empowering people with mental health and addiction issues. Over the course of three years the design and name Gathering Hope House were developed.
Albert and Carmelene Januzzi donated their store, the Januzzi Footwear Store for the future home of Gathering Hope House and the Lorain County Board of Mental Health. Renovations began in 2003. Members of Clifton Lodge along with community stakeholders and other interested parties were instrumental in the design, renovations and concept of the new organization. The doors opened on October 5, 2005 to a great celebration of dedication and collaboration in the mental health and addiction community.
Gathering Hope House embraces a Clubhouse model, where everyone who either attends or works here are referred to as members (sense of belonging), offering employment and volunteer opportunities, education, social activities, wellness programming and more for individuals 18 years of age or older.
Program activities include an art studio, Fitness Center, a full-service kitchen offering free meals to members, education and support groups, a learning lab, a retail re-sale boutique (Hope Chest) and a drop-in center in the evenings where we offer a variety of social activities either at their site or in the community.
Transportation to and from Gathering Hope House is offered to all members residing in Lorain County.
Today Gathering Hope House serves over 200 individuals as they continue to help their members thrive, develop leadership skills and master the art of self-help and resiliency.
The Gathering Hope House Board is seeking members who live, work in, or have worked in Lorain County.
We welcome and encourage people with lived experience of a mental health DX to join our Board.
Previous Board experience is not needed, we are seeking members of all backgrounds and talents, and value the diverse contributions of our community members.
Familiarity with the Gathering Hope Houses’ mission is not needed, just a passion for mental health advocacy and your community.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF A BOARD MEMBER
Interest in and willingness to support Gathering Hope Houses’ goals and objectives by:
- Regular meeting attendance and participation; responding to requests for feedback or decisions between meetings promptly
Ensuring effective organizational and strategic planning;
- Participating in the creation of a strategic plan and annual review
- Selecting and evaluating the executive director
- Upholding the adherence to our guiding principles of integrity, personal growth, belonging, competence, helpfulness, fairness, and teamwork
Ensuring the legal and ethical integrity of the organization
- Providing proper financial oversight
(Understand financial statements or commit to learning about nonprofit financial oversight)
Committing to providing adequate resources for the organization to fulfill its mission by;
- Attending fundraising events
- Enhancing public standing by utilizing community networks
- Ensuring adequate financial resources
Full board meetings occur once a month in a hybrid format.
Subcommittee meeting times and dates as well as locations are determined by the members
Gathering Hope House encourages mental health consumers to join together as members, inspiring and supporting one another’s personal growth and recovery. Together, members and staff, along with the Board of Directors, will challenge the community in which they live to develop compassion and acceptance of all.
- Employment and volunteer opportunities
- Day trips and community events
- Wellness programming, which includes:
- an art studio
- Fully equipped Fitness Center
- Education and support groups (both mental wellness and other topics)
- a learning lab with computer and internet available
- a clothing boutique for members
- a drop-in center in the evenings where we offer a variety of social activities either at our site or in the community
- Transportation to and from Gathering Hope House is offered to members residing in Lorain County.
- Free breakfast, lunch dinner, and snack to all members
- Membership is open to any Lorain County Resident (age 18 or older) with a mental illness diagnosis
Whitney E. Oliver, Executive Director
Visit their website at www.gatheringhope.house to learn more about this organization.