The Leadership Lorain County Internship Program (LLCIP) pairs college students with local non profits around the county. The program focuses on exposing these students to how non profits operate while gaining real world work experience in their field of study.
During this 10 week program the students are also given the chance to experience networking opportunities, team building, leadership development, service opportunities, and a chance to learn about civic and professional opportunities available to them in Lorain County after graduation. During the the course of the program students will visit different resources in the community such as Big Frog, YMCA, ShurTech, Common Ground, the Lorain Palace Theater, FAVA, and others for example, giving them knowledge and exposure to all that Lorain County has to offer. The internship program helps prepare our future community leaders.
HOW TO JOIN
We welcome students of all majors to apply for summer positions. We work with our agency sites to offer a variety of opportunites across a range of fields. Opportunities are posted online as they become available through out the late fall and early winter.
To qualify for the program a student must meet the following criteria:
- The student must be at least 18 years old
- The student can attend college anywhere in the country but must have primary residency in Lorain County
- The student must have access to a reliable mode of transportation, as travel may be part of your job and the weekly meetings
- Must have graduated from high school and completed one year of college level work (additional to any college work that may have been completed as part of your high school curriculum).
- Must attend the weekly meetings sponsored by LLCIP/Leadership Lorain County during the ten-week project to learn more about our community, its resources and public service. Meetings are held during the workweek and your host agency will be aware. There will not be more than one meeting held during the work day in any one week.
- Must attend the recognition ceremony at the end of the program.
- Your host agency and/or LLC may require preliminary or random drug testing throughout the program.
- Please plan accordingly. Vacations are highly discouraged. If you plan to be absent at any time throughout the program the dates must be submitted, in writing, in advance and agreed upon by both your site supervisor and the internship coordinator, understanding that any loss of hours may result in loss of pay.
Along with the completed application, each interested student must submit 2 letters of reference, a current resume, and a personal essay.
Submit the application, current resume, two (2) letters of reference, and personal essay to Jennifer Gercak by February 19th, 2018.
You can submit your application via email to email@example.com, or mail it to Leadership Lorain County Attn: Jennifer Gercak, 1202 East Broad Street, Elyria, OH 44035.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, or the program itself, please feel free to contact Jennifer at the email above or by phone at 440-281-8557.
Leadership Lorain County will accept applications to become an intern site for 2018 up until December 1st, 2017. You must be able to send a representative to our December 21st Intern Open House, to meet with perspective students and answer questions about your position.
It is best to submit for two (2) different positions as this program is open to all fields of study and there is no guarantee what fields the students who apply will be from for the year. For example you could submit a job description for an IT person and also a Marketing position in case there are no IT students applying for the summer session. Submission of multiple job descriptions DOES NOT guarantee that LLC will be able to sponsor all positions applied for.
Positions must be curriculum specific, culminating in completion of a tangible project by summers end. Students should be able to leave your site with a resume or portfolio building product, certification, or credit from their school for completion of an internship. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your possible positions please contact the Internship Coordinator (Jennifer Gercak).